24 March 2007

progress report

I went to HomeDepot today to get some supplies and some tools. I prefer to get all my tools at Sears, but since I was already there...I got some sheets of sandpaper, some paper for the belt sander, a hack saw and blades, rags and polish cloths (so cheap), a rubber sanding block, a 16 pc set of (nice) drill bits, a switch plate to cover up the 110 volt outlet by the sink/stove, 50' of hose (I got the cheapeast one, a black one, and it marks the deck, so I may need to go back and exchange it, or trade with Lukeman for the one he has at the house), and a wire brush drill attachment for the day I attack the loose and flaky paint on the engine.

Took off the starboard toe rail. It was only being held down by the screws, all the bedding compound had been disintegrated away. This is a good example of a broken part saving you a lot of heartache later - without the bedding compound a leak, or worse, may have developed.

I also took apart the bow pulpit. The thing got smashed in the crash, so I may need to replace it, but before I do I want to take a shot at fixing it. On the starboard side, way down low, where it sits in the base, the stainess steel tubing ripped. So I took the bow rail off, hack-sawed off the ripped section, did the same on the other side, took a couple of whacks at it with the hammer to make it round(er) again, and tried mounting it. I think it may work! What I need to do to be sure is the fiberglass work on the deck. I need to be able to push/pull the bow pulpit to bend it/force it into place, and with the two front pieces (see below) off, there's no real leverage to get it done.

As I was taking apart bow pulpit I saw that the port side base on the forward leg is very loose. It may just be loose bolts, but since the starboard one got completely ripped out I may as well just take out the port side too, and reglass the both of them. This is a classic case of one job creating another. Work begets work.

The propeller is as clean as I can get it. I would have remounted it today but I forgot the pins that hold the blades in. No good, sir.

I did charge the battery for about four hours. Now I should be able to have some light at night, and run the bilge pump at will. This is good because as I clean the engine I want to be able to use the hose now and again in the engine compartment. It's going to be a good long time before the engine and engine compartment are squared away, but to have the bilge pump working means I can rinse with the hose rather than a wet sponge and a bucket.

If I wasn't a handy guy this would be costing thousands. And the best part of a restoration/repair, is that once the jobs get done, the costs go down. Repairs are costly, but preventive maintenance is not (as much).

And finally, I brought some of the cushions back for the table section. I want to be able to sit and have lunch with a friend without either of us having to sit on the cold, hard plastic. Along with the table cushions, I brought back an outside cushion too. When the sun is warm, as it will be any second, I may have to go by the boat and sit and make sure the creek flows as it should (this generally requires sitting still, in the sun, with an ice-cold beverage in hand). I also brought back the jib sheets, spinn sheets, twings, and some duty lines.

I'm super-excited for the vacation (I'm off from the 2.35p Friday 30 March to 7.00a 11 April). I shall work mine ass off.

And if you stop by, at the boat or the blog, say hi; give a call for directions.

No comments: